While a lot of toddlers aren’t particularly fussy about where they sleep, most important is that they sleep safely. As a result, plenty of consideration needs to go into choosing a crib mattress. One particular mattress that consistently receives good reviews is the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress. This Sealy crib mattress review will have an in depth look and provide some insight into whether or not the reviews are justified.
Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress Features and Specifications
- Firm mattress with a 1.5 lb density
- Can be moved to a toddler bed as your baby grows
- Is lightweight at 8.3 lbs
- Durability tested up to 240 lbs
- Safety tested for peace of mind
What to Look for in a Crib Mattress?
When looking for a crib mattress, there are certain specifics that need to be kept in mind to make a well informed decision. Generally these include:
A Firm Mattress
- A firm mattress can help reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. This is so important that experts recommend purchasing a cheap crib, but a quality mattress when budget is limited.
- A firm mattress can also prevent your baby from rolling into a position where his or her face might sink into the mattress.
- Ideally a foam mattress is best – due to being the most firm and resilient (meaning it quickly returns back to shape).
Ideal Size and Shape
- Most cribs come in a standard size which means looking for a mattress measuring 51 5/8” x 27 1/4”.
- While many traditional mattresses are rounded, a square cut mattress will fit snuggly into any crib.
- The mattress should also be lightweight which means changing the sheets will be easier.
Baby Proof Material
- It goes without saying that the idea crib mattress should be water proof and is easily cleaned!
- The material should be durable and last for years.
- It is vital for the mattress to meet and exceed safety regulations (fire resistant and contain no harmful materials).
The Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
The Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Mattress has all of these features and more which is why it has been so highly rated amongst consumers. This means that in addition to being safe as well as comfortable, its lightweight design (approximately a quarter the weight of a regular coil spring mattress) allows sheets to be changed quicker and easier, and is easily moved – whether for cleaning or for repositioning. The mattress is relatively inexpensive considering the many other crib mattresses currently on the market.
In an effort to help the environment and promote an organic baby product, Sealy has manufactured the foam mattress out of soybeans. This means that no harmful crude oils have been used, and the soybeans are also home grown in the USA which is certainly a plus in today’s economic climate. One day when the mattress is thrown out, the soybean element of the crib mattress will decompose quickly and cause little harm to the environment.
The foam used on the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress is CertiPUR-US certified, which means that it has been tested for durability, indoor air emissions, and substances: including formaldehyde, PBDEs, lead, phthalates and other chemicals. Additionally, the mattress meets or exceeds all testing for flammability and does not contain any toxic fire retardants. Lastly, the whole cover and lock stitched binding are easily wiped which helps to prevent any allergens from affecting the tiny sleeper.
Company Assurance from Sealy
The Sealy Mattress Company has been in business since 1881 and currently maintains an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. A company in business this long could only do so through providing quality products to consumers. One aspect that parents have found particularly pleasing about the company assurance from Sealy is the fact that the crib mattress comes with a lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials. Just make sure to register the mattress online if you do decide to purchase it so that in the unlikely event of a warranty claim, it can be processed quickly.
What Others Are Saying about the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress
The majority of Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress owners are incredibly pleased with their purchase, and if given a chance would likely purchase it again. Upon reading reviews, customers noted that the mattress stays firm, and even after a year’s usage, does not sag in the middle at all. A couple of parents who had difficulty putting their toddler to sleep soon discovered that the culprit was their old mattress.
Perhaps the only negative point that owners mentioned is that the cover is made from vinyl laminate which means the mattress is not entirely eco friendly. As an added note, only a small percentage of the mattress is made from soybeans, but this is common in all soybean mattresses, the rest is cotton and polyurethane which one person found to be misleading. The good news is that this doesn’t detract from the safety of the mattress, and fabric covers are available instead of the vinyl laminate option. During “tummy time”, some owners did like the fact that their toddler could easily push themselves up and not sink into the mattress. All in all, this is a good pick for anyone looking for a safe and dependable crib mattress.
Verdict – Recommended
In an ever growing and competitive market of crib mattresses, the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress is one option that is a favorite of many. It is well priced, and is a safe option, the latter of which has been a primary motive for parents who purchased it. Just remember to look at an alternate mattress cover if you would prefer to do without the vinyl laminate option, and register the mattress in the unlikely event that the lifelong warranty is ever needed.
Where Can You Buy the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress?